Universal Credit claimants will receive a one-off Christmas welfare bonus this month, the Department for Work and Pensions has announced.
Those who qualify for the monthly benefit will get a £10 boost on top of their current payments in the coming days.
It will appear in your account with the reference “DWP XB” and should arrive by Christmas Eve, although households are being warned Christmas payment dates will vary this year due to the public holidays.
To get the bonus, you must live in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any European Economic Area country, or Switzerland during the qualifying week.
The qualifying week is the first full week of December, which this year is December 7-13.
You are eligible if you receive at least one of the following:
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
- Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (once the main phase of the benefit is entered after the first 13 weeks of claim)
- Disability Living Allowance
- Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
- Industrial Death Benefit (for widows or widowers)
- Mobility Supplement
- Pension Credit – the guarantee element
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
- Severe Disablement Allowance (transitionally protected)
- Unemployability Supplement or Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
- War Disablement Pension at State Pension age
- War Widow’s Pension
- Widowed Mother’s Allowance
- Widowed Parent’s Allowance
- Widow’s Pension
Eligible claimants will automatically receive the money – meaning you won’t need to make a separate claim for it.
If you have not received your payment and believe you should have, contact the Jobcentre Plus office or pension centre that deals with your payments.
You will receive a one-off payment of £10, which you do not have to pay tax on.
It will be sent directly into the bank account where you receive your other benefits.
If you’re part of a married couple, in a civil partnership or living together as if you are and you both get one of the qualifying benefits you’ll each get a Christmas bonus payment.
It will show up on your bank statement between now and December 24 as ‘DWP XB’.
The bonus is tax free and will not affect any of your other benefits.